Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Interview with Margie Puerta Edson - Idea Rodeo Commentator and Loyal Supporter


I'm always excited when I see that someone has commented on my blog. Margie Puerta Edson - a friend, colleague, and neighbor - has been Idea Rodeo's most frequent commentator (thank you!). I asked her a few questions about her thoughts on Idea Rodeo and other important subjects:

What keeps you coming back to Idea Rodeo?


1: Friendship and loyalty. I want to show support for whatever projects my friends (in this case Julie Ray) are involved with.
2: Interest. It’s interesting and thought provoking for me. I have a general interest in the subject matter covered on the Blog: art, food, philanthropy, Tucson. It’s all interesting to me and viewing these topics from a different perspective is interesting to me. Also seeing how many times I can use the word “interesting.”
3: Ego. Julie’s Blog provides me with a forum to express my ideas and opinions and it is rather egocentric of me to think that anyone should care to know what I think.
4: Voyeurism. It’s kind of like reading someone else’s diary and living life through their experiences.
5: Reminds me of a kind of performance art adapted for our time and technology.

What topics most interest you?


Hard to say…I find the whole blog interesting for different reasons and have trouble separating the parts. I see it as a whole. As I said, it is a bit like performance art and Julie is the lead. The topics are secondary performers, the various people in Julie’s life are recurring characters and I move in and out, sometimes a member of the audience and sometimes a part of the show. If I were to dissect it, I would say the biographical aspects are most interesting.

If you had your own blog, what would you write about?


Visual art and travel as they relate to ME!

Do you think there is a connection between food and philanthropy?


Yes. I believe my first experience of philanthropy was a transactional kind that involved a bake sale for some club I was in at school. Metaphorically, food could equate with either abundance and generosity or scarcity. How much does anyone one need of anything – food or money – to be happy? Cooking for someone can be a nourishing and generous act. Hoarding is seen as bad, whether you are talking about money or food. Sharing one’s wealth, sharing one’s resources is seen as good for the most part. And of course this all makes me think of the oh so dreaded fundraising events that include awful food.

If downtown Tucson was a burrito, what would be in it?


Nopalitos cooked in a red Chile sauce with some Tepary Beans rolled up in a mesquite flour tortilla served with Cholla Blossoms on the side.

Any additional comments?

Thank you for the opportunity to have a guest appearance on your Blog. It is a very generous and kind gesture. I’ll have to start a Blog of my own so I can return the favor.

Stay tuned for Margie's blog - coming soon?

1 comment:

Eva said...

Hi Julie Ray, I think it would be way fun to do an interview for your blog. Fire your questions to evakaneva[at]hotmail[dot]com