Wednesday, April 30, 2008

We Are What We Eat

I had the privilege of participating in We Are What We Eat, a collaboration between New ARTiculations Dance Theatre and the Community Food Bank. The performance was a series of pieces that combined dance with stories about breastfeeding, baking, gardening, food waste, gleaning, desert harvesting, and more. I created a temporary installation, Food Fantastico, for the final performance at Tucson Botanical Gardens.

Through the 10-week process, I learned how to create movement from words and phrases, met amazing people working to improve our county's food security, and reflected on our food systems. I was inspired by the Community Food Bank's Food Security Program, which "promotes, demonstrates, advocates for, and collaboratively builds an equitable and regional food system, which supports food production and strengthens communities." I bought two eggplant plants at the Santa Cruz River Farmer's Market (run by the Food Bank and where we performed an excerpt of our show) and planted them this morning!

Me and my installation


Children who participated in the performance try to eat the inflatable toast while Prasenjit watches.


Close up of Food Fantastico

2 comments:

Margie Puerta Edson, CFRE said...

Great pictures - really glad you participated in this truly inspiring community project. Now for the next step - how to include more people in the conversation about how what we eat effects everything in our lives - not just our health, which is perhaps the most immediate and universally recognized aspect, but also our environment, politics, etc? - So much! I think the challenge is to go beyond the "converted" to people who are not acting mindfully on these subjects? Perhaps it is arrogance on my part to say that people aren't being mindful? Part of food security it getting to a place where one isn't insecure about where their next meal is going to come from - so for me I know I have so many choices that it's not an issue. I am not at a place where I have to decide between gas for my car to get to work or food to get me through the day. So much more to say! Keep the conversation going!

jenzai studio said...

This sounds so cool! and I love your installation! Inflatable toast?
I just finished having a "mother's breakfast" at Daryl's elementary school. I can't tell you how depressed it left me feeling. I probably would have gotten a tastier more nutritious breakfast had I eaten from the cat dish before we left. It's unbelievable what these kids are served for breakfast and lunch everyday, and the sheer waste of it all is staggering, from styrofoam trays and plastic forks and spoons wrapped in more plastic to all the inedible food that winds up in the trash (also frequently in plastic containers.) How does someone go about making change in such a gigantic, established system?