Sunday, June 8, 2008

Rational Simplicity - Less is More

Chris Jordan, Cell phones #2, Atlanta 2005 44 x 90"

Chris Jordan, Crushed cars #2, Tacoma 2004 44x62"

During this economic downturn I have been hearing stories about people who can't shop at Whole Foods anymore because it's too expensive, people starting their own gardens to save money on the cost of food, etc. I've always felt that there is too much stuff in the world and that time is more important than money. I recently read a book called Rational Simplicity, Setting Course to a Simpler Life that has some great suggestions. You can read excerpts (for free!) at Google books.

The green movement seems to be a perfect fit for rational simplicity. Using less resources is good for the planet and pocketbook. But at the same time, buying "green" can be a way to assuage our feelings of guilt. I just read an article in Fast Company about a study in which people felt more justified in indulging on luxury items after giving money to charity.

Lots of food for thought. What are your thoughts?

Link to Chris Jordan Photography

3 comments:

Margie Puerta Edson, CFRE said...

My life is so not simple I can't even decide where to begin. I am completely overwhelmed. The photography is great, however.

jenzai studio said...

I can definitely relate to margie. ; ) So much so that I've put in a request at the library for the book you mentioned. I love a book with practical advice!

Have you read Kingsolver's Animal, Vegatable Miracle? (and have I already asked you this a bunch of times?) That's another one that's supposed to give really practical solutions to eating more simply. Another one that is on my ever-growing list of books to read...

Margie Puerta Edson, CFRE said...

I'm reading the Kingsolver book now. I have my own issues with it, even though I totally support the thesis and am trying to be more mindful in my food choices.

My main concern is how much time does the majority of us have to produce our own food? So far in my reading, Ms. Kingsolver is spending a great deal of time and energy growing what her family is going to eat. She is able to work from home and has children that can help with food production and her eldest is away at college. There is an expanse of time in her life that is so different from mine that I have trouble relating.

But, the science in the book from her husband, Steven Hopps and the food suggestions from her daughter are really great. I think the simple choices - being mindful and buying local organic - are extremely useful. That is what works for me.

Of course then I get to scalability and wondering what people who can't afford (or think they can't afford) these food choices do? I do think of community gardens and cooperative farm shares as being a part of the answer, but we still have to work to make people care enough to want to make those choices.

I just finished watching "Crude Impact" - which while not as good as "An Inconvenient Truth" really was very informative about how much energy it takes for each of use to feed and clothe ourselves.

Does anyone else feel like just another canary in the coal mine?