Saturday, May 30, 2009

Going in the Right Direction

I appreciate the feedback I received on my last post. It is becoming clearer to me that I want to use all of my social media tools - blogs, Facebook, Twitter - to promote my work. I also need to work on an expanded description of my work/services and what I bring to a project (thanks Alice, for highlighting this). I have been nervous about listing all of the things I do for fear that people may think I am scattered and not focused. To turn this into a positive, I bring a diverse range of experiences to my work and can view a project holistically. For example, because of my writing experience I can edit text in the middle of designing a piece. Finding a balance between copy and design can be challenging because the client may not want to sacrifice any text but too much copy can be overwhelming to the reader. Because I am both a writer and designer, a client can entrust me to design and edit simultaneously!

It feels uncomfortable to be writing so much about myself - I prefer to write about other peoples' ideas and projects - but this is an important part of my journey. I recently had a conversation with Judy Kinney, a Law of Attraction Life Coach (check out her website Dream and Flourish Coaching) about making money doing what you love, and as a result we are going to host an event on this very topic. Just being open to this possibility has already helped me to shift my attitude.

So here I go down this road. Hope to meet new companions along the way!

3 comments:

hazel colditz said...

yeah julie!! you are incredibly talented and have heaps to offer anyone looking for a writer, designer/ media magnet! kuzu salon thanks you, i thank you and i know mariko thanks you! we look forward to working w/you in the future! best of wishes to you and judy, bummer i'll miss such a pertinent dialog.

hazel

Julie Ray said...

thanks so much Hazel. I really appreciate your comments!

jenzai studio said...

This is hard work you're doing, girl! wow. I am so totally in awe.

oh, and I second everything everybody has had to say about your amazing talents! You are a fabulous designer and conceptual thinker/writer. When you make your first hire I hope you'll consider me. : )