Saturday, October 4, 2008

Acts of Faith

Faith, religion, and spirituality are on my mind. We are in the midst of the Jewish High Holy Days and today my husband and I went to a Bengali Durga Puja, the annual celebration of the Hindu goddess Durga. I recently read the book, Acts of Faith by Eboo Patel, an Indian American Muslim who founded the Interfaith Youth Core, an organization that brings young people of different religious traditions together to do direct service.

I related to Eboo's experience as an activist college student searching for a way to connect his faith and religion to his desire to better the world. This was also my journey. Being heavily involved in student activism in college left me feeling that something was missing - where was the spirit and soul of what we were doing? Where we thinking about how we were treating our fellow students or just focused on "fighting the power"? Disillusionment led me to work for change on the inside - my personal growth - and within the non-profit world.

Marrying outside my religion has tested my faith and values. Do I really believe that all religions are equal? Can my husband and I celebrate and appreciate both of our religious and cultural backgrounds without resentment or fear? This includes our own religions. For a time, I avoided the Jewish community out of fear of my Judaism being questioned and of my husband feeling excluded. After reading With Roots in Heaven, about Rabbi Tirzah Firestone's return to Judaism, I realized that I want to be connected to a Jewish community - one that is inclusive and open-minded. These do exist, and I am grateful for that.

I struggle with the contradictions. Some Jews consider themselves "the chosen people" and believe that we are a "light to the nations" - an example for other religions. This seems condescending and exclusive. Yet at the same time we have a long history of standing up for the rights of all peoples. Many Jews have explored other spiritual traditions; Jewish Buddhists abound and Israelis are known to travel in droves to India after completing their mandatory military service.



I don't know what all of this means. I do know that my activism stems from my Judaism - the experience of being a Jew in a Christian country, the history of American Jews as union organizers and civil rights activists, and the concepts of tzedakah (justice), and tikkun olam (repairing the world). I also know that I believe we all come from the same source and that the path to peace has to come from acceptance and love.

Acts of Faith ends with Patel's thoughts on religious pluralism, which I believe can be applied to not just religion but ethnicity, class, gender, sexual orientation, and all of the things that divide us as humans:

"I came to one conclusion. We have to save each other. It's the only way to save ourselves."

JewBu definition from www.urbandictionary.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice words. nice translation of 'tzedakah' (as opposed to 'charity').

but i also want to add that tzedakah is justice AND giving. maybe 'righteous giving'....

best wishes for a healthy and happy new year!

arnie draiman
www.draimanconsulting.com

Anonymous said...

Where's the whining?! You said I was rubbing off on you! You're going to have to practice complaining about your life a whole lot more. (hee hee)

I had forgotten how involved you where in activist activities in college, nor did I realize what had motivated you to enter the non-profit sector. You are such an idealist! I love it.

So let's see. I guess you're a hindew? Or are you a Jewdu? I'm sorry. Here you are writing a serious post and all I can do is be silly. shame on me. I think I'm too brain dead to offer anything in the way of serious thought. Thank you for sharing this struggle with us. I feel so lucky to count you as one of my friends, and I have so much respect for the integrity with which you approach life. Please keep writing as you travel on this road!

Margie Puerta Edson, CFRE said...

I think exploring and expressing one's spirituality is about the most radical thing a person can do. It's not always acceptable - often seen as some how lacking an intellectual component. You know, as when "those people who cling to their faith" were basically ridiculed? To explore this frontier is truly brave. May your journey bring you enlightenment or whatever you seek.

Anonymous said...

We are failing as a people to perpetuate the tradition in which you were also brought up of "serving people" and holding human rights up above all other things. Interfaith is no problem. Lack of activism, when we see inhumane treatment as a government policy of a State, that by other's definition, is a Jewish State, will result in a retrospective view some years from now similar to how we now look at the Bush years. We will see more and more of the injustices that were perpetrated by that President and his administration in the name of 'Christianity' . We can not stand idly by while indiscriminate killing becomes acceptable.

Maybe your community organizing skills could bring some other like thinking people to help make Tucson a hot bed of protesting against this human travesty in the name of RELIGION